Hermana Courtney Haight is currently serving in the Argentina Buenos Aires North Mission

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The First Week

February 17, 2015

Hola!


Holy Canoli, we haven't even been here very long at all. But its already P-day and now I have to try to come up with some good things to say so you all don't think my life is boring. Honestly, I kind of feel pressure to write a good letter.

So, I first got here and they keep you pretty dang busy. The thought did cross my mind a couple times "...what in the world have I gotten myself into?!" All these rules about being with your companion all the time, what you have to wear, and say and do. But its fine. just an adjustment.

My companion is Hermana Winterton. She is just fabulous. She is from Utah, went to BYUi for a year and worked in the temple before the miss. At first I thought she was going to annoy the dickens out of me but it has turned out to be great. She did theater so she is kind of dramatic and is like a stereotypical blonde. But now she just cracks me up all the time! She came in with no background in Spanish whatsoever so that has been really funny. We were bearing our testimonies and she told some elders (who were also going spanish speaking and have been here way longer than us) that she knew the church was "verde" instead of "verdad". Another time in a lesson she said that we have a manzana for you & I whispered "mensaje! hermana, manzana is apple" and I honestly wouldn't have thought twice about it, but the other hermanas in our district got to observe people teaching on the cameras in the classrooms and they tuned in right at that moment. We laughed about it later in our room. Lastly, whenever we sit down to eat people usually close their eyes and say a personal prayer, and that's when Hermana Winterton pounces! She tries to steal food off their plates. So far she has succeeded in snatching croutons and curly fries, but she had to abort mission chicken nuggets. But really, she's great. Keeps everything fun. and she pushes me so much to be more spiritual. She has a beautiful testimony that is so strong. It really inspires me.

Nancy sent me a box of KKreme donuts! It was so incredibly sweet of her to be thinking of me and take the time to do that! please send her my love.

Sunday was SO fun. I finally paused my crazy work-aholic-ness and trying to be productive every second of everyday. And I had a great time. The spirit was so strong! We got to take a walk around the Provo temple & took a ton of pictures with the zone. I decided my motto is : work hard, play hard.

Language-Everything is going really well. I came in really prepared. I'm telling you, duolingo works wonders. In fact, my teacher pulled me and another girl in my district out of class and said he thought we were above beginner level. so we went and took a test to move up to intermediate. We should know in the next couple of days, but then I would have to leave my companion and district and zone :(

Most of the lesson we taught have been pretty rough with our broken spanish, trying to remember what we are saying and figure out what they are saying. But I was praying about how to be better missionaries and I felt like we should also participate in the challenges that we have extended. So before our lesson last night we read JS History. and I was praying really hard that Hna W would be able to understand what they were saying. We also sang a hymn at the beginning and the spirit was so so strong. it was a FANTASTIC LESSON. I really felt it when I explained and testified of Abraham 3:24-25.

The church is true! I love you all!!

Hermana Haight



Hermana Winterton & Hermana Haight










No comments:

Post a Comment