Hermana Courtney Haight is currently serving in the Argentina Buenos Aires North Mission

Monday, June 1, 2015

Mission Life

I don´t think I say it enough but my companion is awesome!! She is an incredible example of hard working and faithful missionary. She is such a great support and I know if I ever need anything she is there to help. I am so glad God has given us companions to share the good times and the bad and the funny. (her cooking is soooo delcious too)

Muchos milagros esta semana. the mission is such an adventure. This whole week we ran out of minutes for our phone and in Argentina you pay first and when you run out of credit you can´t call anymore. I guess its kind of good so you don´t go over your minutes. But i thought how crazy!! we can´t call to verify appointments or call members to come with us or call to order pizza (jk mi compañera doesn´t like pizza, but with Hermana Espinosa we did). AND we also ran out of text messages too. so our phone was basically just a clock this week! hahaha. but God knows and I know that it is all part of His great plan because we saw miracles that never would have happened if we had a working phone.

One day we didn´t have a member to do visits with us! and we were trying to think of who we could drop by and ask. And my companion said "how about Omar?" a less active who we met in the street a couple weeks back and visited once. I thought uhhhh unlikely but we´ll try it! so we did. and He said "ohhhh, I was just about to leave" and we said REALLY QUICK we´re going to visit someone who was just baptized and then teach a lesson with another investigator and you´ll be back in 40 minutes. So he said okay!

 It was incredible! we asked him to read a scripture in a lesson and he read it, then asked Julio "what does this scripture mean to you?" He was teaching the lessons, not us!! His testimony was spot on! and he absolutely LOVED it. He didn´t want to leave when 40 minutes was up. and He asked "what is the age limit to be a missionary?"  we were so happy that we could have a member with us to help teach and that Omar could feel the excitement for the Gospel and really have a great time with the missionaries. Crazy how it all works out so perfectly! I am so glad that our phone wasn´t working so that we could have this experience with Omar and that my companion could be so sensitive to the promptings of the spirit.

For some reason I just felt so guilty this whole week. I felt like I was never doing enough. That there was always someone else I could have talked to. Or I could have had an even better attitude or could have explained something clearer. I felt like a bad missionary! And this feeling that I could always be better was eating me alive. And it was strange because we have a ton of people we are teaching, we could see the fruits of our labors. We were having super success but I still felt this burden and uneasiness of not reaching perfection. I shared my feelings with my companion and she comforted me and asked if I thought God was pleased with the work I was doing? And said Satan is going to try to do anything possible to derail our focus and distract and weaken our power. 
  
Saturday we visited Julio to see how he was doing. He drank Tuesday so we have been really concerned and doing everything to help him. Saturday he was soooooooo sad. He just felt so guilty for drinking tuesday after he has been baptized. We asked him if he had repented and he said yes, so we explained his sins are forgiven and God remembers them no more. I just thought WOW THIS IS WHY I HAVE BEEN FEELING SO GUILTY ALL WEEK LONG. so I could understand the feelings of Julio and say the things that gave me the most hope when I was in the same situation. I felt honored to be given this trial so I could help someone else!

<3Hermana Haight

No comments:

Post a Comment